Monday, January 12, 2009

Roadside Memorials - January 12

While I've often thought of doing a series of roadside memorial photos as a project, that is not what this is about.
In August my friend flew up here from Florida to attend the services for her niece, who was killed with her boyfriend in a car accident on route 495.
I went with her to the funeral and wow what a very popular and much loved young lady she was. There were many tears flowing of course, and it was hard for me to hold them back myself, being slightly empathic (I think, but even if not, it was a highly emotional time). So the whole event became a part of me as if she had been one of my own relatives. I felt so sorry for her family and friends. She was only 18.
My friend told me that in this same spot there have been other fatal accidents. I have heard that too. I couldn't find info on any other accidents though, and the scene is on a straightaway so it seems odd.
But then I noticed a second set of crosses so after trying to see the names on them all each time I drove by, which is a few times a month, the traffic on this day was light enough to stop for a couple quick pictures without becoming the reason for a fifth cross.
It turns out both sets of crosses are for her niece and niece's boyfriend.